Monday, September 19, 2011

Stretch Ring How-To

Yesterday I showed you the stretch ring that I made. I thought that today I would show you how I made it.

To be perfectly honest, depending on the amount of time you have, and the supplies you have access to, you might want to skip the crafting part and just go right to Amazon.com to buy some! :)

But I AM glad I made this one, since it was on my to-do list.  And I enjoyed wearing it today!!  Woo-Hoo!

Okay, here is the piece from Joann.com that I used for my ring's gem:


I chose this gem for 2 reasons - first, it was small, and for my first ring I wanted it to be understated; second, the holes on next to each other on each side.  There are 2 places for cord.

Next, I used Jewelry Fundamentals White Stretch Cord - it was really strong.  I tried to pull it and stretch it to try to break it, and I couldn't.  It looked somewhat like fishing line, but was much softer.

First I put the bead on the cord and then pulled the cord into the other hole and fed it back the way it came (different hole).  I used this "u" shaped end of the cord for tying when I was done.

After the cord was on the main gem, I threaded small beads onto the cord's ends, which were now hanging out of the gem's 2 holes on the same side.

These are the beads I used:

Once you have the beads on the cords, checking to make sure it fits your finger (I know it is stretch but you don't want to take the chance its too small or too big!).  Then feed one of the cord ends through the loop on the other side of the gem, and tie it together with the other beaded cord.  I had to use a tool to pull the loop away from the gem.  Be careful when you cut off any extra lengths!

And you're done!  and whew, if you're lucky, you'll get a lot of compliments on it.  and it might make you glad that you made it yourself after all, instead of spending the $10 for it already done!



I hope you get the chance to be creative today!

2 comments:

  1. I love it! I really want to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad! It cost just a few dollars and you have supplies to make a bunch. Let me know when you make one!

    ~Lori

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts, ideas, and blog links here!