Monday, June 13, 2011

A Flowy Skirt

Amidst the graduation party planning, the college graduation ceremonies, and the general hulabalu within our family of 6, I snuck in some time to sew a skirt for myself.  

It was my first time sewing with a very fine, flowing fabric.  This was a challenge! 

The fabric was so thin that I decided to NOT use a pattern but to cut from my own measurements.  I first measured my waist then I added 3 inches.  I knew I wanted this to be full - mostly because it makes it an easier sewing project!  I didn't want to have to had buttons, ties, zippers, or anything but an elastic.   

I then cut across the length I wanted, and I cut down from the waist out about 3 inches to the length, making an "A" line.  After I cut out the pieces, I sewed them together, making a french seam.  


After that, I sewed a casing for the elasic at the waist, zig-zag stitched the bottom and folded it up to make the hem.  
I have a blue shirt and a brown shirt I will wear this with.  What do you think?



 I hope you get the chance to be creative today!
...from Lori @Kitchenfunk 



Sumo's Sweet Stuff






1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the inspiration! I need to make a date with my sewing machine soon! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts, ideas, and blog links here!