Monday, April 4, 2011

Beads Everywhere!

Beads! Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!

Until recently I had a big box of old jewelry sitting in my closet. I really didn't want to give the box to Goodwill, but I certainly didn't want to wear the jewelry.

Then, one day, I had a revelation... I realized I could take apart all of the old necklaces and increase my bead stash! So I did! I now have several boxes of beads at my disposal, and they look a lot better the way I use them!

And now enter - the "Not Very Attractive Purse"... This was given to me by a family member I shall not name....

Okay, the fabric alone was actually quite pretty. And the interior was perfect. But the trim left a lot to be desired. The ribbon and beads were glued in place under whatever that fluffy stuff is...


So I decided to cut off the beads - aren't they interesting? And not only the ones that look like coins, but the regular beads are pretty nice, as well...


And I added them to my bead boxes. Next I'll need to separate them by color and shape... By the way, in the picture I'm showing here, every bead was from previously from a necklace.

Finally, I also wanted to suggest that you not only keep the beads from old necklaces and purses, but save the clasps and connectors. You can reuse them when you make your own creations using the beads.

OO! OO! Wait, I also wanted to tell you that I used my seam ripper and pulled the purse apart so that I could use both the interior fabric and the exterior fabric for sewing projects!! I am using everything except the lovely blue ribbon stuck to the fluffy "stuff"... :-)

I hope you get the chance to be creative today!

...from Lori @ Kitchenfunk


Running with Glitter

2 comments:

  1. hahah hmm I wonder who gave you that purse..
    but those bead boxes are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, its really not a secret. Its my mil. Most of the time I can use every cool thing she gives me, but not this time... ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts, ideas, and blog links here!