Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Felt Coffee Sleeves

Felt Coffee Cup Sleeves


These cute little coffee cup sleeves are things I’ve been working on with my 13 year old daughter during our down time. Sometimes while I’m at work during my lunch hour. I have been keeping a bag full of the supplies with me wherever I go.

What do you think?

Decoration and edging
We gave the first one away to my niece Emily with a $10 gift card to Starbucks as part of her Christmas gift. We’ve done something similar with others. We put them around a new cup and slip the gift card inside the cup.



We did this by simply taking a sleeve from Starbucks and opening up the cardboard where it was glued. I traced the sleeve onto some felt and cut out several felt sleeves.

Our color choices

Open a sleeve and trace it onto your felt...

Make note of the overlap

Consider the overlap so you get best fit


Then we began to sew, using embroidery thread that we did NOT separate. We used each strand right off the skein, thinking the thicker strand would be more visible and more attractive. We also cut out other shapes and used the embroidery thread to appliqué them.

I wish I had thought to take pictures of the ones we gave away for the holidays, but I think you get the idea. I think they will make great additions to small gifts throughout the year. They add a personal touch to even the smaller $5 gift card.




Just some information, in case you are interested & didn't know: this type of felt is not real felt, the squares you buy like this are polyester. You can buy this by the yard just like regular felt. Its great for people with allergies! I just completed a project using a yard of this stuff (will post it next week when I can take some pictures). Real felt is wool and is very expensive, comparatively. FYI for fun.


Have fun!


4 comments:

  1. Hey Lori!! You won the Real Simple subscription...contact me so I can get your address. Thanks!
    cleverlyinspired@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so excited to see this! I know I already sent you a gushing email but I hope everyone checks out your site. Just this weekend I emailed to my sister-in-law because I knew she would love it. Thank you, can't wait for the magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I <3 these - they are adorable! Congrats on your Real Simple subscription - I love that magazine too!!!!! Beautiful photography and layout! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love these too! I make something similar but like your stitching and all, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts, ideas, and blog links here!