Saturday, January 29, 2011

Simple Chicken Burritos

I love a simple recipe. Sometimes the list of ingredients just looks challenging, even if its not. The following recipe is VERY simple and needs only a few things.



These picture are terrible, despite my pretty Fiesta plates. Sorry, but the burritos still taste great!

I throw this together based on what I have in the cupboard. It reminds me of a restaurant burrito, which may not mean much to you, but I LOVE Chipotle Mexican Grill (and a little unknown Mexican place in Boston, Mass. which makes them even better than Chipotle's!). After making them so many times, I have a preferred plan for putting things together.

Simple Chicken Burritos

Package of soft flour tortillas
One whole green pepper, sliced
1/3 to 1/2 of a medium sized onion, sliced
Olive Oil
1.5 pounds Chicken Breast, sliced thinly
Taco Sauce (see below, OR use a package of Taco Seasonings)
One can Black Beans

I put about 3 T of Olive Oil into my pot and heat it up, then throw in my peppers and onions. After they've started to soften, the chicken goes in. At this point I sprinkle a little sea salt and pepper on top.

While the chicken is cooking I make the sauce.

1 T Chili Powder
1 t Sea Salt
1 t Garlic Powder
2 t Onion Powder
1/4 t Cayenne Pepper
1/2 t Paprika

Whisk these ingredients together and add them to 3/4 of a cup of water. Heat gently to boiling while stirring, then turn down the heat and keep an eye on it for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. You can probably just do this right in with the chicken, but I haven't done that just in case I have to drain the chicken.

By the now chicken should be done, so drain the can of beans and add it to the chicken pot. Add the cooked taco sauce as well.

This should simmer for a bit, while you stir occasionally. At this point, if you didn't notice that you needed (or wanted) to drain the chicken broth from the pot, you can go ahead and add corn starch to thicken the liquid in the recipe. It won't change the flavor.



You're done!

I enjoy this on flour tortillas. My family likes to add cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, and guac to this, but honestly I think it is so good just on its own!



I hope you get a chance to be creative today!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts, ideas, and blog links here!